Islamic Relief Tunisia is looking for
PURPOSE OF DEPARTMENT:
Through capacity building and through technical and programme support, the International Programme Division keeps the organisation focused on the socio-economic and humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
The division reinforces IR’s implementing structure to enable these people and their communities to develop themselves sustainably, and ensures that the organisation is prepared to respond promptly and effectively to humanitarian crises.
The division increases the organisation’s ability to tackle poverty by developing and fostering partnerships and institutional relationships effectively and proactively, and by ensuring transparent and timely reporting to the organisation’s donors.
• To provide strategic leadership and expertise to programmes in Tunisia
• To ensure the programme meets Islamic Relief Quality Standards
• To provide timely and high-quality proposals and reports to donors
• To ensure the development and utilization of best practice for technical interventions
• To network with, and represent Islamic Relief to partners (government authorities, donors, INGOs, local NGOs, CBOs etc)
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Has regular contact with Regional Desk Coordinator at IRW, Country Director, sector coordinators / Manager, Programme Officers, Finance Manager, and is part of Country Office Management Team
Communicates effectively and systematically across the organization
Engages and networks with the wider community by attending and representing Islamic Relief and meaningfully engaging within country institutional donor agencies, IR Partners, peer organisations, umbrella organisations, forums, networks and other key stakeholders
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
Reporting to the Country Director, the scope of this role is to ensure the delivery of quality humanitarian and development programmes in Tunisia in line with IR global and country strategies, and as per donor requirements.
Responsibility for Resources:
The Program manager is accountable to fulfil his/ her roles and responsibilities in line with IRW’s code of conduct, values and principles, and to report to his/her line-manager regularly on the basis of annually defined key performance indicators (KPIs).
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff.
KEY ROLES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Accountability 1 : Programme Designing and Development (at least 40% of the time)
• Provide strategic direction to the programme, to ensure it works towards reducing poverty in a sustainable manner and responds to emergencies effectively
• Take a lead role in the annual strategic planning process
• Design programmes and projects based on the Country Strategic Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan
• Proactively identify opportunities to build key stakeholder relationships, and take the initiative to follow up with necessary action
• Develop timely and good quality donor proposals to expand the programme, using a participatory approach involving all relevant stakeholders
• Work with the Country Director to diversity the funding base through developing existing or new relationships with donors
Key Accountability 2 : Implementation and Quality of Programme (at least 25% of the time)
• Make key decisions in relation to the programme implementation, and offer solutions to problems that arise during the implementation of programmes
• Ensure the programme meets Islamic Relief Worldwide Quality Standards and international Codes of Conduct
• Ensure the programmes are implemented and evaluated in a consultative and participative manner through regular field visits
• Ensure the timely submission of high-quality reports to HQ and donors, according to the appropriate guidelines
Key Accountability 3 : Management
• Actively participate in the Country Management Team (COMT)
• Facilitate team building across the Programme, Islamic Relief Tunisia and the wider organization
• Motivate the programme team and ensure they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance
• Provide HR Management to ensure the short and long-term success of the programme, including recruitment, staff development, security etc.
• Deputies’ for the Country Director whenever requested to do so (it is estimated this task will involve up to 10% of the Program Manager time)
Key Accountability 4 : Networking and Communication
• Build relationships with donors and other INGOs in Tunisia
• Ensure regular and effective communications are maintained within the programme, and with the Regional Desk at HQ
Key Accountability 5 : Budgetary responsibility
• Assist the programme team to develop, finalize and closely monitor the programme budget
• Work closely with the Finance Department to ensure effective financial and budgetary control of the programmes, according to IRW’s policy and procedures
• Ensure corrective measures are taken to address over/under spends in the project budgets
The employee holding this job must expect that his / her performance will be measured in part against the standard set forth in his/her JD. However, the JD is subject to revision to further the consistent with positions level of responsibilities may be necessary to fulfil IR objective in the country.
Tunis Office is the employee duty station.
The employee may be required to perform assignments after his/her working hours and on holidays beside field trips to field offices. The Program Coordinator is expected to spend a minimum of 40% of his/her time on the field.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding of the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief Worldwide vision and mission.
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required:
• Qualification: Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Social Sciences, Development Studies, Education, etc.
• Work Experience:
• 5 years minimum experience with NGOs
• 5 years minimum experience in Project Management.
• It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission.
• Experience of working with various International NGOs in developing countries.
• An in depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to community development.
• Experience of developing proposals for a variety of donors
• Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with EC, ECHO, UN and DFID
• Experience of developing links with INGOs, Government agencies, Institutional donors and other stakeholders
• Experience of and commitment to participatory management and maintaining a supportive, open environment to ensure the learning and development of all staff.
• Experience of managing and mentoring local and international staff.
• Familiarity with the Sustainable Development Goals, Sphere Standards, Do no harm policy, Red-Cross/ Red-crescent Code of Conduct, Humanitarian Accountability Programme etc.
• Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, sensitivity to other peoples’ views and perspectives, and conflict resolution.
• Strategic leadership skills
• Good organizational skills and a practical knowledge of support service management
• The capacity to develop and maintain an understanding of and be sympathetic to the social, cultural and political context of the post
• Ability to represent, liaise and negotiate at different levels (national, provincial and local).
• Excellent communication skills
• Knowledge/familiarity/expertise in programme areas: e.g. Emergency Response, Community Development, Microfinance, etc
• An ability to work under pressure with limited support.
• Knowledge/familiarity with country/region
• Language Proficiency: Fluency in Arabic and English and working knowledge in French, both spoken and written, is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
• Proven Experience in Project Management
• Experience in Education activities
• Good understanding and proven experience on the Results Based Management RBM approach.
• Good organizational, interpersonal and communications skills with ability to build and lead teams.
• Committed to gender equality.
• Experience in Project Proposal design and development
• Good understanding of budgeting and financial procedures.
• Ability to understand the community needs.
• Well-grounded understanding of the Civil Society Organizations
• Good written and spoken communication skills:
• Ability to design and prepare quality reports in English and French.
• Able to work independently with sound judgment, good time management and prioritizing skills.
• Flexible, reliable, culturally sensitive and have the ability to take initiative.
• Good computer skills.
• Flexible & Patient
• Able to work on his/her own initiative as well as a part of a team.
• Problem solving skills
• Analytical skills
• Culturally sensitive
• Energetic and able to operate in different situations.
• Previous Islamic Relief Worldwide experience.
• Experience of working in Development or Humanitarian sector.
• Demonstrates the flexibility and energy that is required for a high level of self-management and awareness
• Familiarity with the Sustainable Development Goals, Sphere Standards, Do no harm principles, Red-Cross/Red-crescent Code of Conduct, Child protection.
Interested? Apply for this position by sending an updated CV in French / English to email@example.com
THE ORGANISATION: Islamic Relief has been operating in Tunisia since 2011 primarily as a response to the influx of refugees during the Libya Crisis. Since registering an office in Tunisia in 2012, Islamic Relief has set up and managed camps on the Tunisian border and provided humanitarian services to over 15,000. As well as supporting refugees, forced migrants, Islamic Relief has implemented projects in education, health, WASH, Livelihood and food security and child welfare and protection sectors as well as supporting capacity building of local associations.